Getaroom @ Frontyard
You have a provocation to explore. A project to begin. A local problem to solve. A team of pro-active people to assemble. We have the space and a network of people to connect you with.
Frontyard is a space for research, imagining, problem-solving, doing & not doing, meeting, talking, and making time. There are 2 short-term (1-2 weeks) residency spaces for artists and non-artists, and an open door policy for hosting people in our workshop, garden and library if your project needs a place to grow after your residency ends.
In return for the space and time to think, Frontyard asks for a small gift of time from each resident. That could mean participating as a provocateur in a futuring session, giving a public talk, sharing skills via a workshop, symposium, film night, performance, or something else you think is important for the community.
In each #getaroom:
- table, chair, shelves, working wall
- Access Hours - round the clock
- Public Access and Programs - Thursday to Sunday and Thursday night
- Internet - yes
- Sleeping over - no! (but if you are from out of town, we can help find you a bed)
- Other assets - workshop area, small kitchen, kitchen garden, library, hammocks, pro-active people!
How do I #getaroom?
We have a ‘no application’ policy, so as long as you are happy to sign our MoU and we can find a time slot that suits, you’re in! We prefer to meet you face to face first, unless you are too far away to drop in. Come along to our monthly Open House (first Thursday of each month, from 430-630pm) or drop us an email to make time for a cuppa.
What we ask from you.
- fill out our Google form so we have your contact details, and sign our MoU
- book an induction with us via email or #slack 1 week before your residency starts
- send us 1-2 sentences about what you’ll be working and an image, so we can put it on our website and Insta
- Upload images and text you want to share to our Flickr archive when you’re in residence
- Tell us when and what you want to do as a ‘gift of time’ for the Frontyard community - you don’t need to know before you start so no rush!
All current and past residents:
Ilaria Vanni, Benjamin Byrne, Australian Unemployed Workers’ Union (Inner West Sydney Branch), Gianni Wise, Jacquelene Drinkall, Tilly Glascodine & Amy Parker, Matthew Hopkins, Andrew Burrell, Sara Rosa, Leah Landau, Salazar Quas, Julia Dunne, Futuring Migration, Michelle Miller, Nick Lee, MONO FOMO project, Alice Williams, Kush Badhwar, Sumugan Sivanesan, Amelia Dale, Belle Boyde and Daniele Hromek and Ali, Chris Carmody, Jo Paterson Kinniburgh, a.j. carruthers, Nicholas McGuigan & Thomas Kern, Stephanie Cobon & Will Scott-Kemmis, the Mlаden Stilinović Study Centre, Sophea Lerner, Trish Wood, Dani Zorbas, Suburban Bird Spotters, Dating an economist radio series production, POLISPLAN, Kirsten Seale, Non-Cash Assets Platform, Psychpathologies of Cognitive Capitalism, Julian Day, the Marrickville ugliness, Performing/Translating Bureaucracy, Mia Ardianto, Open Australia Hacktivists, Favour Economy, Mapping edges, Beth Caird and Aodhan Madden, ArtCycle, Sasha Abrams, Swerve & Sierra & kids - caravan project, Laura Lotti, Making Time, …
For more in depth stories from previous residents see our Flickr.